02 March 2014

Cantice I

Well, now here I am starting up a chapter for a new character which you all have not yet seen: Cantice. He's a poet. This week I'm going to try to start up doing my extra posts, but I'm a terrible blogger, so good luck to me on that. That's actually about it, thusfar. Enjoy.

“Oh dear, we’re late. Late. Late. What am I to do with myself, Famulus?” The poet hurried down the street, trying his best to hold up his robes as he scuttled down the street, his slave easily keeping pace with him, despite having to carry a backpack with multiple wax tablets in it and both his dinner napkin and a gift in his hands. The slave said nothing.

His clothing was relatively heavy, and despite it only being early spring, it was too hot for him to be moving this hurriedly. He was supposed to be devoted to his writing, to the practice and beauty of the Erraman language, not running down streets, clumsily clutching at his clothing whilst sweat began to drip. Sweat ran down his forehead from his hair, sweat ran down his stomach from his chest, sweat ran down his buttocks from his back. Oh, how miserable this was. He never understood how people could do this, particularly in armour, when they went off to fight in their foolish wars.

Suddenly it hit him. He couldn’t keep running, despite being late. He had to slow down and make sure that he wasn’t sweating and disgusting looking, even if he were to be late. If he kept running, he would look terrible for the woman that he sought to impress. Why did I not think of that before I started moving so hurriedly? Why did I not just leave in time to get here earlier? Cantice always had the habit of planning too many things to get any of them done efficiently. He wasn’t the sort to tell two friends that he would spend time with them both in the same day. That was never his problem. His problem was that he thought that he could write a bit, have lunch, go to the baths, get something from a shop, get dressed, travel, and about a dozen other small things before he had to go off to a party. This would only take a moment, that even less, but they each take more time than scheduled for both.

No comments:

Post a Comment